As spring arrives, so too do the insect swarms. Insect invasions, such as termites, ants and flies are common this time of year. That is why all property owners need to be alert and proactive in order to protect themselves from costly pest damage.
Most of us look forward to the change of seasons from winter to spring. We yearn for the warm weather, sunshine, green lawns and first blossoms. Spring is a welcome sight after the long cold winter we just experienced.
What we don’t look forward to is swarm season. Spring brings on the good, the bad and the ugly. This is the time of year that all types of insects emerge from hibernation. Are you ready for swarm season?
The best practice for keeping a property pest-free is maintaining clutter-free and clean surroundings, inside and out. Now is the time to get a head start on protecting your property from unwanted insect invasions.
The Bug Stops Here recommends that you take the below steps, along with regular inspections for termites, carpenter ants and other invasive insects that can cause costly property damage.
Spring Pest Prevention Checklist
► Inspection – Perform a full inspection of your property’s interior and exterior. Look for any possible access points where pest might get inside and any signs that an invasion has already occurred.
Look for …
- torn screens
- damages or cracks to
- examine roofing for any compromises to
- roofing system
► Clean – Remove clutter inside and out to eliminate potential nesting spots for pests and keep property clean.
- keep garbage in tightly sealed containers
- remove any debris and junk piles
- keep yard weed and brush-free, trim bushes
- move wood piles as far away from foundation as possible
- look for signs of any nests in ground, around eaves, under decking, in nearby trees, etc …
- prevent possibility of standing water all around the property which is a breeding ground for all types of pests, such as mosquitoes, ants, crickets and spiders
- keep basement and other underground enclosures from becoming damp
- clean empty boxes, excess piles of paper and other needless clutter from attics, basements, closets, etc …
- seal off any food sources in airtight containers
► Repair – Promptly repair any vulnerable areas that you have discovered to keep pests from taking advantage of your weak points
► Protect – your property is an investment that needs protection from costly damage by an uncontrolled pest invasion. Termites, carpenter ants, wasps, rodents and more cause billions of dollars in damage to homes and businesses each year.
If you detect any signs that your property has an uncontrolled infestation, contact a pest control professional.
The Bug Stops Here is a full service pest control and exterminator company serving Bohemia and Nassau County, New York and businesses located in Long Island, New York serving all of New York City; Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and surrounding area. For twenty years, our team at Pest Control team has been comprised of professional exterminators who provide high quality pest control services for both commercial and residential properties throughout New York. Our team of extermination professionals can get rid of a variety of pests, ranging from cockroaches, termites, ticks & fleas, bees, wasps,hornets, rodents, ants to bed bugs. Our goal is to provide you with the best pest control services that exceed both your standards and those of the industry as a whole.