This is the time of year homeowners and local businesses should begin to prepare for rodent season. Whether it is mice, rats or squirrels, no one wants to spend the cooler months sharing their warm cozy chambers with rodents.
As the chill begins to set into the Bohemia and Nassau County area in New York, the great hibernation begins. Families are starting to migrate from outdoor dining and backyard events to indoor entertainment around a cozy fire.
Rodents are common pests this time of year and learning how to stop them from entering your inner sanctum can make for a peaceful and safe environment for your family or workplace companions.
Rodents carry disease and can cause structural damage to your property. They chew on wire, gnaw on woodwork and pilfer soft material to make their nest. So not only are rodents a health hazard, they are a safety issue.
BEST WAY TO PREVENT A RODENT INFESTATION IS TO NOT LET THEM GET INSIDE
Preventing rodents from entering in the first place is the best way to avoid all the headaches of getting rid of them once they breach your property. Below we share a variety of proven methods to discourage rodent from invading your space.
7 Ways to Stop Rodents from Entering Your Property:
- Seal ALL Entryways – seal and caulk any openings around entryways. Install door sweeps as rodents can squeeze through the smallest of openings.
- Plug Holes – steel wool works as a great way to plug any holes as rodents don’t like its roughness. Be sure to screen any vents or chimneys.
- Clean – don’t invite rodents in by providing them with a messy environment which gives them the opportunity to build nests and provides easy hiding locations.
- Store Food in Air Tight Containers –keep all food sources sealed, as well as garbage bins covered tightly will make for a less enticing atmosphere for rodents. Avoid leaving unattended food around. Promptly clean up after each meal.
- Keep Pet Food and Bird Seed Out of Reach – Tightly seal all pet food and bird seed in plastic or tin containers.
- Set Traps and use Repellents – use traps and cages that are not dangerous to pets or children. Check with your local home improvement store, as there are many natural remedies for rodent infestation, as well as commercial repellents.
- Scent The Home – cats do not have to be good mousers, their smell alone is a deterrent for keeping rodents at bay. They do not have to be good mousers. Plant some mint around your foundation or rub peppermint oil where you experience problems as mice and rats do not like the smell.
CALL AN EXTERMINATOR – if rodent invasions get out of control, it is time to call a professional exterminator that has access to commercial grade pesticides and with the expertise to quickly deal with your rodent problem.
By taking certain precautions to keep rodents out and make your space less inviting to them, you can send them packing before they ever move in. Check out this list below on ways to prevent a rodent infestation.
But it is wise to be vigilant in case a lone rodent makes it way in. Look for fecal droppings, gnaw marks, paw prints, chewed wires, or small holes or crevices in walls. Also, listen for scurrying noises in the walls or ceiling. These are all common signs of rodents have moved in with you.
The Bug Stops Here is a full service pest control and exterminator company serving Bohemia and Nassau County, New York and businesses located in Long Island, New York serving all of New York City; Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and surrounding area. For twenty years, our team at Pest Control team has been comprised of professional exterminators who provide high quality pest control services for both commercial and residential properties throughout New York. Our team of extermination professionals can get rid of a variety of pests, ranging from cockroaches, termites, ticks & fleas, bees, wasps,hornets, rodents, ants to bed bugs. Our goal is to provide you with the best pest control services that exceed both your standards and those of the industry as a whole.